Diabetes is becoming more prevalent these days. According to the stats, approximately 422 million people worldwide have diabetes, and 1.5 million deaths are directly associated with it each year. Diabetes is a chronic disease that is the result of elevated levels of blood glucose in the body. It generally occurs when your blood glucose (blood sugar) is too high. Diabetes can lead to severe damage to your heart, kidneys, eyes, blood vessels, and nerves. Although there are several types of diabetes, the most common form in adults is type 2 diabetes. It is a condition where the body is unable to make enough insulin or to use it properly.
Currently, diabetes is incurable and can only be monitored. And, taking the proper diet is one of the essential components for managing diabetes and preventing its complications. There are different types of diabetes, and no two people with diabetes are the same. Hence, there isn’t a one-size-fits-all diet for all. To get the appropriate diet, you can book an appointment with our health dietitians and nutritionists.
Eating right is crucial when it comes to diagnosing diabetes. Because eating unhealthy food is responsible for high calories which are not suitable for your health. So, instead of eating high-calorie food, opt for nutrient and mineral-rich food.
Following a diet or eating healthy food is accessible at home. But when it comes to eating out, it becomes a little tricky to eat right. So, follow these quick tips whenever you are planning to eat out.
1. Restaurant food is made up of ingredients that might be harmful to your health, and you don’t need them all. So, don’t ever overthink to make slight changes or pick up some healthy options instead of some unhealthy picks. Learn more here to understand more about healthy swaps.
2. Restaurant food generally serves large portions, which might result in overeating. But restaurant food is usually high in calories, fat, and sugar that can lead to high blood sugar in your body. So, avoid deluxe or super-sized portions in restaurants.
3. Avoid meals with full-fat dressings or sauces as these are not good for your health. Instead of mayonnaise, ketchup, and other creamy sauces, opt for healthier options such as mustard or fat-free dressings.
4. Consider ordering food with extra vegetable toppings instead of extra cheese.
5. Swap normal bread with whole-wheat bread.
6. Consider swapping for baked and grilled food instead of fried food.
7. Design your meal by using the plate method. First, pick your lean protein; next, your vegetable, fruit, low-fat dairy, and starch.
8. Check nutrients information before ordering food.
9. Start ahead with drinking a glass of water. It will help you feel fuller, leading in advance, and you will end up eating less than you generally eat.
10. Plan your meal so that you can avoid eating undesirable food items out of cravings and confusion.
Eating right is crucial not only to manage diabetes but managing overall health as well. Even while eating out, give your complete attention to what you are eating, portion sizes, and healthy alternatives which you can choose. And, don’t forget to follow these simple yet essential tips for the effective management of your health in diabetes, as these tips can help you cope with diabetes. Also, if you are looking for a source for complete monitoring of your health, you can download the Epillo health app.
At Epillo Health Systems, we want to help everyone lead a healthier and safer lifestyle everyday through products and services that connect, automate, disrupt and bring innovation to the digital and retail health landscape.
© Copyrights ○ Epillo Health Systems OÜ